Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Shifting Shapes


I was visiting with my friends yesterday. Loads of fun! I love my friends. My friend Chrissy and I are working on getting our pre-baby bodies back together. As of now, I weigh as much as I did when I got pregnant. Chrissy and I now weigh the same. I was admiring the jeans she had on yesterday, exclaiming "how good" she looked. This is the good part...

She told me what size they are! How can we be built the same, weigh the same, be the same height and she can fit into that size and I can't???? She insisted that I try them on. I protested. Insisting it was an impossibility. She won that fight. I did try them on and they DID fit! They actually fit great! Very comfortable. HOW CAN THIS BE? Here is what I deduced.

Pre-Pregnancy
I worked out at the gym 5 days a week for 1 1/2 hrs.
Walked everywhere.
Ate really well.
Weighed______(you really don't need to know that)


Post-Pregnancy
I haven't gone to the gym in at least 3mos.
I pretty much drive everywhere, except to the neighbors.
Eat too much fast food
(It's hard to cook for just Lizzy and I, besides, we are out alot. DON'T JUDGE ME!)
Weigh ______ (the same)

I understand that muscle weighs more than fat. It's safe to assume that I had much more muscle before I got prego than I do now. Since I was toned, that means that I was trimmer.

How can it be that I wear a SMALLER size than I did before I got pregnant?!?!?!?!
At first, I thought, "Oh well, this was just tagged wrong. Still feels good though..." Today I went to the store to prove my theory. I tried on the same size from yesterday, several pairs of jeans. THEY FIT! WHAT? And it's not like I had a gut hanging over or anything!

Have our sizes really changed that much in just 2 years? I understand that sizes change and get bigger over time. (My mom has been the same size since she got married 37 years ago! I think she looks great, but she insists that she weighs more than she did when she got married.) But seriously! In just 2 years we had that big of a jump?

Don't get me wrong. I am thrilled with what the label says! Great confidence booster! Or maybe I really am that small. Chrissy looks so tiny I have a hard time believing that I could be that small.

Either way, To the designers and manufacturers and Chrissy, I say "Thank you. Thank you for making me feel like I look like the chick in this picture."






6 comments:

Holly said...

Ha, ha Flee, you crack me up...
I have forty (yes, 4-0) to lose! Ugh...such a long road ahead of me.
Anyway, wanted to thank you for your sweet post! Little Lizzy is so precious as well. I hope your hubby can be home with you both soon.
Love the Cranberries btw, my fav from high School ;)

September said...

Pre-preggo body. I don't even remember what that was like.

I will say this though, somehow I have become much more comfortable with my body since having kids. Even though I'm definitely bigger now (kind of a lot) I'm pretty okay with how I look, I just don't like the numbers on the scale. Weird huh?

Anyway, congrats on getting into the jeans.

Michele said...

Isn't it weird how that happens? I too am the same weight that I was before I had Zane and it amazes me that whole size thing and feeling pretty good. Just plain weird.

nora.lakehurst said...

YAY! For you. I have 80 lbs. so :P on you. I am working on it and its hard. Expecially with being sick and getting sick all the time. Anyways I am going to keep on going. I hope you have lots of fun. Love ya! Karla

Davenport Family said...

Whatever, you ARE skinny & I am not that tiny! I just had more to lose than you did (all 55 lbs of pregnancy weight plus some)I am determined to find more of these jeans & stock my closet. By the way, your butt looked WAY BETTER in my jeans than mine does! Love you!!!! P.S. We are hitting the workout hard starting tomorrow!!!

Stacey said...

Congrats Flee! I read an article about the change in sizes because the average woman used to be size 10-12,now it's 14-16.

I still have 55 to lose. Blah! :P